Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Travelin' This Maze

It's been a few months since I touched this blog, and for that I apologize. We cannot predict when we will experience 40 years in the desert.


After several months of introspection, I realized that I feel dishonest writing a blog full of opinionated commentary because I rely too heavily on the opinionated commentary of others when I form my opinions.  This is not problematic on its face.  Indeed, it is probably a good sign that I rely on the expertise of others when I know too little about a subject.  But as helpful as this may be, it is not fulfilling.


I have impulses and a reliable set of "leanings" that have composed my political and social identity to this point, but I do not have a personal manifesto.  The sheer volume of information I take in every day makes it difficult to feel competent enough to stand by what (I think) I believe.  As such, this blog will be the place where I write down write down and critique my ideas about a great many things.  This blog will be where I document my mental Exodus.


Religion is the first topic I will explore with my blog.  By revisiting the origins of the Abrahamic religions, I will try to pinpoint where I am on the spectrum of belief (or at least why I choose to stand there).  I will then turn my attention to religion's involvement in politics throughout history.


While there will be posts about other topics along the way, the following books will guide my writing:

  • America's Prophet, by Bruce Feiler
  • Defenders of the Faith, by James Reston Jr.
  • God is Not Great, by Christopher Hitchens
  • The Forge of Christendeom, by Tom Holland
  • the Bible
  • What Hath God Wrought, by Daniel Walker Howe
  • Forged in Faith, by Rod Gragg
Again, this is all just a starting point for me.  Input, feedback, and critique is welcome.


Above: Possible routes taken by the Israelites during The Exodus described in the Hebrew Bible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More